One of my favorites, yet a dish I am always trying to improve on. There are so many ways one can make this, but this is my basic recipe. Feel free to omit the mushrooms if you like, or add something else.
3 cups (or more) vegetable broth
3 tablespoons butter
4 shallot, chopped
1 pound assorted wild mushrooms, diced
1 cup Arborio rice*
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
1) Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
2) Add chopped shallots and then onions; sauté for about 1 minute.
3) Once onions are “soft”, add mushrooms; cook until mushrooms are tender, for about 8 minutes.
4) Add rice and stir to coat, making sure all rice grains are coated. Increase heat to medium-high and
continue to cook stirring always for another 4 or 5 minutes. The rice will start to make “cracking” sounds letting you know that it is cooking.
5) Slowly add 3/4 cup hot vegetable broth and simmer until absorbed, stirring frequently. Keep doing this until rice is just tender and mixture is creamy
6) Stir in Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh chives.
*I use Unico Arborio Rice, available at most Canadian supermarkets and Italian specialty stores, but feel free to substitute your own preferred brand.